A chemical leak at Mitsubishi Electric’s air-conditioning equipment factory in Livingston, Scotland saw the attendance of 24 firefighters from Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue including three special operations units, early yesterday morning.
But the incident on the Houston Industrial Estate which manufactures the Ecodan heat pump, turned out to be the accidental discharge of 4kg of R410A from a unit,
Ian Riddle, Mitsubishi’s Livingston factory manager, said: “Due to an operator error a discharge of 4kg of R410A refrigerant was vented from a unit, which set off the fire alarms. The fire brigade arrived in numbers as a precautionary measure.”
Emergency crews were earlier called to tackle an ammonia leak at a cash and carry, which was blamed on faulty valves on three fridges.