Parent company Wolseley UK offers industry-first LGV apprenticeship, including forklift training for drivers at its brands
Wolseley UK, parent company of Climate Center, Pipe Center and Plumb Center, has launched an apprenticeship scheme for LGV drivers, the first of its kind in the industry. The salaried scheme, which includes a training package worth £7,000, begins in April and lasts for a year. Successful apprentices will graduate with a Level 2 Apprenticeship in Driving Goods Vehicles, a C+E license, Driver CPC and a forklift licence.
Delivered in partnership with Telford College, the apprenticeship scheme comprises both “on the road” and classroom-based training
In addition to recruiting new talent, Wolseley UK is further investing in its fleet by training all 123 existing dri.vers, during working hours, under a Framework of Excellence which will see those who successfully complete the programme awarded a Level 2 Certificate in Driving Goods Vehicles.
Alan Newton, Head of Distribution and Fleet, said: “Excellent customer service and fantastic product availability relies on a world class distribution fleet. We are proud to invest in our drivers, grow our own people and run the safest, most efficient fleet, in the UK.”
Wolseley UK has five distribution centres and a network of 919 branches, encompassing Climate Center, Plumb and Parts Center, Pipe Center, Drain Center and William Wilson. The company employs 6,200 people, has and runs a commercial fleet of more than 800 vehicles, making it one of the biggest in the UK.
It is currently recruiting for four apprenticeship drivers, two to be based in its Worcester distribution centre and two in Marston Gate. Applicants must be aged 21 or over (a legal requirement for a C+E licence), hold a clean driving licence and GCSEs in Maths and English.
For more details and to apply, visit Wolseley UK’s careers website:
· http://tinyurl.com/naxuhnv for the Marston Gate DC vacancies
· http://tinyurl.com/pry56kz for the Worcester DC vacancies
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2015.
For further information contact:
Nicola Hamilton, Communications Manager, Wolseley UK
Tel: 01926 705435 or 07801 928861
· Wolseley UKprovides construction products and materials through a nationwide branch network, including Plumb and Parts Center, Pipe Center, Climate Center, Drain Center, Burdens, Integrated Services and William Wilson.
· WolseleyUK is committed to meeting customer needs by providing the right products and services when and where they are needed, at competitive prices. Its customers are anyone who constructs and maintains buildings and range from the largest construction companies to government organisations to self-employed contractors.
· Wolseley UK is a subsidiary of Wolseley plc, the world’s largest specialist trade distributor of plumbing and heating products to professional contractors and a leading supplier of building materials in North America, the UK and Continental Europe. Group revenue for the year ended 31 July 2014 was £12,773 million and trading profit was £761 million. Wolseley has approximately 39,000 employees, is listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: WOS) and is in the FTSE 100 index of listed companies. For more information, please visit www.wolseley.com or follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/wolseleyplc.