The six competitors who will compete in the 2013 SkillFRIDGE UK final have been named following two challenging semi-finals earlier this year.
All will now go head-to-head in a three-day practical task on November 14 to 16 at the Skills Show, the UK’s largest skills and careers event. This event will take place at the NEC in Birmingham, where over 70 WorldSkills UK national competitions will be held across different occupations.
Contestants will have to tackle the complex installation and commissioning of a refrigeration system into a simulated cold room in the quest to be crowned SkillFRIDGE champion.
The finalists, listed with their employer and training provider details, are:
• Umesh Kara – Climate control (South East) Ltd/College of North West London
• Stewart Bothwell – Trane UK/North Glasgow College/BEST
• Scott Wearing – Trane UK/ North Glasgow College/BEST
• Joseph Conroy – Trane UK/Eastleigh College/ECTA
• Gavin Murray – Montgomery Refrigeration/South East Regional College
• Chris Bailie – BL Refrigeration/South East Regional College
SkillFRIDGE is organised by SummitSkills, the Sector Skills Council for building services engineering. “Based on the standard witnessed in the heats we’re expecting this to be the most competitive UK final we’ve seen so far,” said Neil Collishaw of SummitSkills.
“With the Skills Show this year hosting even more competitions over a larger area, the stage for SkillFRIDGE is really exciting and a once in a lifetime chance for the competitors to demonstrate their skills to a huge audience.”